My New Year is off to a fast start, and that’s a happy thing.
Today I’m sharing some posts that I wrote late last year and early this about cars, food, jets and the circular (green) economy. Disclaimer: I was paid to write these for Earth911.com – a client – although not by the individual companies. I think the information is useful.
As I work with businesses and talk to people, I am struck by the continuing lack of awareness around green businesses and the products they create. Green business is not a “scam” or a “hoax” or a “threat to jobs.” On the contrary, green businesses are here today. Green businesses range from behemoths like Google to tiny ones like Great Green Content. They are profitable AND they minimize harm to the planet.
Green businesses create jobs
- The U.S. Solar industry employed 174,000 people in 2014
- Employment in coal, which has been dropping for years, stood at 78,500 coal-mining jobs in April 2014
- California alone will pass 500,000 clean energy jobs in 2015, up 17% from 2014.
And while the oil and gas industries have grown with the shale oil boom, scientists have told us for years that using fossil fuels puts greenhouse gas emissions in the air, which leads to global warming, which leads to climate change. And all the droughts, floods, storms, property damage and weather-related insurance claims that that entails. Fossil fuels need to stay in the ground.
It reminds me of a bumper sticker I saw when I lived in North Carolina. It said, “Tobacco put my kids through school.” Unfortunately, that tobacco probably killed or sickened people as well. People need jobs, but not jobs that harm other people.
So here is a sample of my articles. It heartens me to know that green business is taking off in all directions. And I want YOU to be heartened – and more aware – too!
- About cars – Muscle Massage: EcoCar 3 Competition Steers Camaro in New Direction
- About a green economy: An Economy Without Waste: Squaring Up the Circular Economy
- About food – Restaurants Adding More Green
- About jets – Growing Altitude: Creating BioFuel from Saltwater Tolerant Plans
Really, this is just the tip of the green business iceberg. I’ll be writing weekly for Earth911.com, so if you are interested in even one of these, there are plenty more on tap.